Getting Started

What is sprint kart racing about?

Karting is a vast sport, with many adaptations on the main speed and thrills theme. Its so much more flexible than most other motor sports whilst still combining all the elements of professional racing.  Karting has established itself as the first step on the ladder to motor racing success, and besides – its fun !!

It is at local kart club meetings where you will start your quest for motor sport fame. It is at these meetings you will excel if the speed, thrills, family fun and competition has enough to satisfy you.

Kart racing at club level is not all that expensive,  certainly the cheapest of the many motorsports available.

Of course if you move up to championship level racing the costs will increase ,  but it is no more expensive than keeping a horse or trying to make the grade in any other mainstream sport where you need the latest and best equipment, coaching and lots of training and practise.

It is also the way to find out if you really do have the talent and determination to succeed in a motorsport career.  There is far more to any major car racing team than just the drivers,  and Karting can also give you an introduction to all the other areas of involvement for pit crews, mechanics, data engineers, promotions and a wide range of associated activities – but on a smaller and less stressful scale. 

Come and be part of the future of motorsport

STEP 1 – JOIN A KART CLUB – In South Australia joining a KA club will give you access to that club’s circuit for practice, as well as allowing you to participate in any race event, as well as social events, working bees and other club activities.

STEP 2 – GET A KA LICENCE – Once you are a member of a KA club you will need a licence. The licence comes with a KA Karting Manual, which outlines all the rules, regulations and operations of Karting Australia. Your KA Licence also includes insurance while racing.

STEP 3 – GET A KART – The karting industry in Australia is always keen to assist newcomers in entering and enjoying the sport. The many kart shops will be able to assist you with not only purchasing a kart, but also helping you maintain it and acquire the necessary tools and equipment.  Obviously here at Ian Williams Tuning we can offer you a full sales and service experience.  

STEP 4 – GET YOUR SAFETY GEAR – Most kart shops will also offer a range of safety gear – that is, full face helmets, race suits, racing boots, gloves and other optional safety gear such as rib vests and neck braces.  

STEP 5 – GET A BUDDY – Karting is a friendly, family-orientated sport and karters young and old are always happy to help out newcomers.  Make sure you ask lots of questions of members of your kart club and local kart shop. It is often a good idea to plan your first trip to the kart track with your kart with someone you know so that they can help you with any questions you may have. Also, while at the circuit feel free to ask other competitors any questions. So often friends you make in Karting will be friends for life.

Karting Classes

Cadet 9  (7 – 9 year olds) 
The purpose of this class is to teach young people to drive karts of restricted performance.  Competitors use a Vortex Mini Rok 60cc engine
Approx. Power 6 hp | Top Speed 75 kph

Cadet 12  (10 – 12 year olds)
Using the same principal of the Cadet 9 class they use an unrestrited Vortex Mini Rok 60cc engine.   
Approx. Power 9hp

Junior KA3 (12 – 15 years)
With two weight divisions this class allows close competitive racing in karts with restricted KA100 IAME Reedjet engines.  They are fast enough to teach the basics of racecraft.  
Approx. Power 15hp | Top speed 90 kph

Junior Max (13 – 15 years)
This is for the more experienced junior karters in Australia with all drivers using a ROTAX 125cc watercooled engine with clutch and onboard electric starter. 
Approx. Power 18hp | Top speed 110 kph

KA3 (15+ years) 
Using the KA100 IAME Reedjet engine this class offers fast and competitive racing.  This is split into weight divisions to allow smaller drivers to race against one another, and larger drivers to only race against like sized drivers. 
Approx. Power 22 hp | Top speed 105 kph

Restricted 125 (15+ years) 
This is where all new drivers in 125cc karts  begin racing, and is designed to offer a newcomer to the sport an opportunity to purchase a water-cooled TAG engine that they can then use in a higher performance class  when specific licence requirements have been met.   This is split into weight divisions to allow smaller drivers to race against one another, and larger drivers to only race against like sized drivers.  There is also an over 40 years ‘Masters’ division for those who qualify and wish to enjoy their competition outings against a more sedate group of drivers.
This class runs on a harder, longer life tyre than the ‘open’ 125 Tag classes.. You must hold a D or C grade licence to be eligible to compete and you must use a KA supplied exhaust restrictor.  The appropriate restrictor must be used and is issued by the AKASA state secretary when purchasing a new license.

125cc TAG –  Rotax, Leopard, etc (15+ years) 
The 125 TAG classes cater for 125cc engines such as the Rotax MAX, Leopard, X30, Fireball and Galaxy engines. The engines used in these classes are watercooled and are fitted with an onboard starter and a clutch. 
Approx. Power 30hp | Top Speed 125 kph 

Karting Australia Kart Racing Licence and Membership process

To use a KA karting circuit you must join a kart club and obtain a KA licence. When you join a club you are given a key to access and use the circuit for practice on all days that it is not otherwise in use,ie for race meetings, schools and private training days and some other hirings.  

Step 1:    Club membership is done online For any kart club the form can be found on the AKA of SA website at 

Step 2:    Complete an online licence application on the AKA of SA website.

                 Fill in as many details as possible.

                 1.      Upload a “head and shoulders” photo from your phone or camera.

                 2.      Read and tick the declaration boxes.

                 3.      Print and sign the confirmation slip which appears at the end of the application. Make a note of your application number.

                 4.      Copy of birth certificate also required for under 18 year olds.

Step 3:    Complete payment for licence,  options are selected online.  

Step 4:   Complete an OLT/safety briefing.   This is what happens first , before you go to a kart track with your new licence.  The club’s OLT officer will take you through all the club rules,  check that you have a legal kart and all the correct apparel,  and finally answer any more questions you may have on the club or Karting in general.

You will need to contact your club’s OLT officer to book this at a mutually convenient time.

An AMB transponder is required for all drivers when racing to be scored. Available from $158 for the latest model with 12 months subscription.
Available for online purchase from AMB Mylaps. Choose the kart transponder from 

Would you like to become a race meeting official rather than a competitor?
Motorsport requires officials in a wide range of disciplines and if you think you’d like to be a part of Karting in this way then please email your details to the AKA of SA.